Financial Aid FAQs

Applying for financial assistance may seem complicated. At the University of West Florida, we’re here to help you through each step of the financial aid process. Here are some common questions and answers about financial aid.

Students in a program with multiple specializations may change specializations by submitting a Graduate Major Track Change form. Students wishing to change departments entirely must submit a new graduate admission application, pay another application processing fee and re-establish or restate Florida residency.

Graduate students must be admitted and registered in order to submit a major track change or doctoral change of specialization form.

You may either contact your enrollment counselor or log into your MyUWF account to view the status of your application.

Within 30 days of submitting an application, applicants may submit a new application to change their program of interest or semester of entry, and the application processing fee will be waived. Please notify the Graduate School once the new application has been submitted. If it is past 30 days, applicants will need to submit a new application, and pay the application processing fee, to make the change.

  • Changing degree programs: If it has been less than 30 days and an admission decision has already been made on your application, then you will need to submit a new application, and pay the application processing fee to make the change.
  • Changing specialization within the same degree program prior to registration: If it has been less than 30 days and an admission decision has already been made on your application, but you have not registered, then you will need to submit a new application, and the application processing fee will be waived.
  • Changing specialization within the same degree program after registration: Students in a program with multiple specializations may change specializations by submitting a Major Track Change form. Graduate student must be admitted and registered in order to submit a Major Track Change form.
No, you may be enrolled part-time and be eligible for financial aid. Different awards have different enrollment criteria. For example, federal direct loans require at least half-time enrollment. All students are awarded assuming full-time enrollment. If you change enrollment plans, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships must be notified immediately, and we will revise your award if necessary.
Transfer credits are accepted from regionally accredited institutions, and the amount of transfer credits allowed depends on the program. For detailed information, visit our Transfer Students page.
Unofficial test scores or test score reports are not accepted. However, you may submit them in order to receive a preliminary idea of your chances of acceptance into a program. When the application process has begun, however, you must submit official documents.
Scholarships are included as a resource in your financial aid package. It is our policy to ensure that students are awarded for achievements and efforts by first applying these funds to any unmet need the student may have. If need has been met 100 percent, we will reduce your student loan awards when possible. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the financial aid office of all outside scholarship awards.
You must first be admitted to UWF and registered for the course(s). Enrolled students, visit UWF eLearning to access your course.
To apply for financial aid, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid online. For detailed information on this process, visit our Financial Aid page.

In order to receive information about financial aid, you may contact your enrollment counselor, tuition planner or UWF’s financial aid office via phone at 850.474.2400 or by email at

You can request your transcripts through the Joint Services Transcript website.

Contact the University of West Florida's Military & Veterans Resource Center to find out if the course(s) you are taking have been approved by the Veterans Affairs State Approving Agency.
The answer varies.
  • Undergraduate: Full time is 12 credit hours during fall and spring semesters and nine credit hours during the summer semester.
  • Graduate: Full time is six credit hours each semester.
You must apply for financial aid every year.
Change the class, add a minor, or get an academic advisor to approve the class on your Degree Works or in writing.

No, we require an official transcript from each institution previously attended, even if you didn’t earn a degree there.

When you pursue a degree online, not only do you have the opportunity to study whenever and wherever you choose, you also have access to numerous resources and support. To be successful, you need time-management skills and self-motivation, as well as computer access and a reliable internet connection. For information, visit our Benefits of Online Learning page.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is available Oct. 1 for the following academic year. UWF’s priority deadline for summer and fall enrollment is April 1. The earlier you apply, the greater your chances are for receiving limited grant and/or federal work-study funds. When you complete the FAFSA, you are applying for federal, state and university assistance.
Yes, we offer our students the opportunity to divide education costs into manageable payments. For detailed information, visit our Payment Plans page.
Yes, there is a $30 application fee when you apply for admission to an online program.

If at any time you experience technical problems (you can't access the course, you can't see certain material, etc.) please contact the ITS Help Desk. For hours of operation please visit the eLearning Support for Students page.

If taxes are not filed, the FAFSA accepts estimated income figures. Once you complete your taxes, you will need to update your FAFSA if there are any changes to the original estimate you submitted. We suggest you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool provided on the FAFSA to update your information once you have completed your taxes. If you have already been awarded, your aid will be adjusted, if necessary.

There are two sets of requirements when applying for admission into a program at the University of West Florida: University requirements and program requirements. Admission requirements vary depending on the program. Visit your program’s page for detailed information.

Run eLearning's System Check to make sure your computer meets the eLearning requirements.

Print a copy of the confirmation page that shows your confirmation number and provide to the MVRC.
Your financial aid maybe adjusted if you withdraw from a course during the semester. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships prior to withdrawing to determine if you will be required to pay back funds and if the withdrawal will jeopardize your eligibility for future aid. Withdrawing may also affect your ability to maintain satisfactory academic progress.

If your GPA doesn’t meet the required minimum for a program, you may still be admitted on a conditional basis. To be considered for conditional admission, you will need to submit all required application materials. Please note that conditional admission is not a routine process.

After we’ve received your application for admission, transcripts and other required documentation, we will review your file. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will review your application materials within 48 business hours. For graduate admissions, the application materials are evaluated by the department for which you’re applying after the initial graduate school evaluation. Departments may take as much time as necessary and may wait for the receipt of test scores before making a decision. After a decision has been made, you will be notified. The entire admissions process including both University and program approvals may take up to a month after all materials have been received.

You can apply for your online program and VA benefits at the same time.
An unsubsidized loan accrues interest during in-school grace period, while a subsidized loan does not. The federal government pays the interest on the subsidized loan while you are in school at least half-time (at least six credit hours).
Our federal school code is 003955. This code is required on the FAFSA in order for UWF to receive the results.

Our institution code is 5833.

Our recipient code is 1089.

The VA will pay for any course that falls under your degree program, including minors and certificate programs as required for graduation. For some courses, a letter from your academic advisor may be necessary to inform the Military and Veterans Resource Center that a course is required.
We offer multiple start dates so that you can begin your degree whenever it is convenient for you. Start dates vary by program. Visit our Academic Calendar page for information.
Repayment begins on student federal loans six months after graduation or after the student is no longer enrolled at least half-time. In all cases, loans must be repaid regardless of whether you complete the program or are satisfied with your educational experience. Failure to repay loans can result in serious consequences and negatively impact your ability to obtain future credit. For private loans, please contact your lender for repayment information.
As soon as you submit a VA enrollment certification form via your MyUWF account, we start the certification process. Once your benefits and all your classes are verified, they will be submitted to the VA.