Online Nursing Programs, Overview
Build leadership skills with advanced nursing knowledge.
You’ll qualify for new nursing roles and improve patient outcomes when you complete the online nursing program that’s right for you at the University of West Florida. Accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), our online nursing programs are structured specifically for you so you can gain the academic credentials you need to build and advance your career while working. You’ll learn from nursing professionals with experience in courses that:
- emphasize evidence-based nursing practice.
- demonstrate the specifics of high-quality care.
- teach you how to communicate and provide leadership in multiple healthcare systems.
You’ll complete your program with a practicum or community-based project so when you interview for your next nursing role, you can talk about the work experience you’ve gained and the issues you’ve solved.
BSN Programs Online
Our CCNE-accredited BSN degreesqualify you for more nursing positions that offer higher salaries in nursing. If you’re a registered nurse (RN), you have two online nursing programs to choose from:
- The RN to BSN program helps you take the next step in your nursing career. The BSN is considered the point of entry for many nursing roles, especially if you plan to work in higher-paying roles in hospitals and pursue titles such as a public health nurse, staff nurse or clinical nurse manager.
- The Accelerated BSN to MSN in Nursing Education is a bridge program that helps you save time and money earning both degrees. So if you know you’ll ultimately want an advanced role in nursing and to educate the next generation of nurses, or to help advance the skills of nurses in clinical practice, the University of West Florida offers you this online option to accelerate your career path.
MSN Programs Online
For RNs who already hold a BSN degree, the University of West Florida offers an MSN degree with three career-focused tracks.
MSN, Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
Become the point of primary care for patients as you learn how to assess, diagnose and treat children, adults and seniors with general knowledge of family, pediatric and gerontological medicine. Graduates of the University of West Florida’s MSN FNP program scored 10% higher than the national average on the AANP Certification exam.
MSN in Nurse Executive
Build a strong foundation in nursing leadership and project management to prepare for nurse executive roles in areas such as nursing informatics, case management, risk management and quality improvement with titles like nurse administrator, nurse case manager or healthcare administrator.
MSN in Nursing Education
Combine your real-world experience as a BSN-trained RN with knowledge of how to teach adults in a variety of ways. Graduate ready to develop curriculums that can help nurses provide patient and community education and train other nurses in modern healthcare best practices in academic, community, hospital or agency environments.
Explore the Right Online Nursing Degree For You
Accelerated BSN to MSN in Nursing Education
- Implement research- and evidence-based nursing approaches
- Demonstrate advanced professional knowledge of nursing practice
Family Nurse Practitioner FNP, MSN
- Gain the skills needed to care for primary care patients of all ages through this full-time program
- Prepare for the ANCC or AANP national certification exam
Nurse Executive, MSN
- Learn the skills necessary for leadership or administrative roles in case management, nursing informatics and more
- Explore how to implement research- and evidence-based practices
Online Nursing Education, MSN
- Discover instructional strategies and curriculum design to meet the needs of tomorrow’s nurses
- Prepare for doctoral studies or a career in an academic or community-based setting
RN to BSN
- Gain more skills for career advancement in nursing and increased earning potential
- Transition from the role of an RN to a BSN generalist providing professional care
No programs were found matching the selected filters.
From 2020 through 2030, overall employment in healthcare and related fields is expected to increase by 16%. This is much faster than the average for all occupations and will add about 2.6 million new jobs to the economy. The projected growth will occur mainly because of an aging population that increases the demand for healthcare services. The American Association of Colleges of Nursing attributes a nationwide nursing shortage to factors including a shortage of nursing faculty, an aging nursing population, changing population demographics and insufficient staffing. UWF’s accredited online nursing programs will lead to a rewarding nursing career in many positions
Nursing career outlook information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics
Nurse practitioners coordinate patient care and may provide primary and specialty healthcare.Median annual salary: $113,930
Nurse educators collaborate with hospital administrators to manage continuing education for its nursing staff.Median annual salary: $73,619
Nurse Case Managers
Generally employed at a hospital or nursing home, a nurse case manager collaborates with patients and their providers to decide on the type of required care.Median annual salary: $70,153
Healthcare administrators manage the medical and health services of an entire facility, department or medical practice.Median annual salary: $98,350
Why You Should Pursue an Online Nursing Degree
CCNE accreditation ensures an innovative, quality nursing education.
Prepare for jobs in nursing leadership and management.
Develop hands-on nursing skills in your practicum.
Accreditation & Accolades
The University of West Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, educational specialist, and doctoral degrees. Degree-granting institutions also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of The University of West Florida may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling 404.679.4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org/).
UWF Online is approved by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. The voluntary agreement among member states and U.S. territories establishes comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance-education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in other states.
Frequently Asked Questions
To begin a certificate program, interested students need to fill out either a graduate or undergraduate non-degree seeking application. Once accepted as a non-degree seeking student, students should speak to an advisor about course availability and scheduling. Then, complete the online Graduate or Undergraduate Certificate Declaration Form on MyUWF. Current UWF students who would like to pursue a certificate should speak to their advisor.
To begin a degree program, you first need to submit an application for undergraduate or graduate admission (plus a $30 application fee) and be accepted for admission to the University of West Florida. Some programs require a minimum GPA in all previous coursework. Depending on the program, you might also:
- Submit a copy of your RN license
- Submit official transcripts from all regionally accredited institutions previously attended
- Submit GRE, GMAT or MAT scores
- Submit a letter of intent describing your work experience and reasons for pursuing the degree, including how the degree relates to your career goals
- Submit a sample research paper
- Submit a resume
- Submit letter(s) of recommendation
- Complete the residency application form for tuition purposes
- Complete a departmental application form
Time to completion varies by student, depending on individual progress and credits transferred, if applicable. Most certificate programs can be completed in two semesters depending on requirements. Undergraduate degree programs typically take 4 years, although transfer credits can reduce the time to completion. The length of graduate degree programs is anywhere from 12–24 months depending on program requirements and transfer credits.
Yes. Faculty at the University of West Florida are experienced professionals who deliver an online education with the same rigor and benefits of an on-campus program. You will work with course management systems that enhance learning material with multimedia. You will also have the chance to interact one-on-one with classmates and instructors. Depending on the program and course, you will learn in real-time through live lectures and class sessions. Other requirements can be completed on your schedule.
The University of West Florida offers many ways to reduce the cost of your online education. In addition to affordable tuition rates, UWF offers various financial aid options for our online students, including loans, scholarships and grants. Members of the U.S. military, plus their families, are eligible for many military discounts, including free tuition through the Yellow Ribbon Program and tuition waivers. Active-duty military members receive an out-of-state tuition waiver. Residents of Alabama are eligible for Alabama Differential Tuition, a reduced out-of-state tuition rate. You could also enroll in a payment plan or secure a short-term loan.
You can expect a rigorous, quality online education in any UWF programs. If you are struggling in an online class, please reach out to your instructor to receive advice and guidance. You will find that our faculty are earnestly invested in your success.