Education Degrees Overview
Pursue endorsements, certifications and expertise.
The bachelor’s degree programs in instructional design and technology, exceptional student and elementary education or ISS community education could jump-start your teaching career. For career advancement, UWF’s two-time award-winning doctoral degree in curriculum and instruction could lead to administrative roles.
UWF’s master’s programs in teacher education have been recognized many times by BestColleges.com:
- The M.Ed. in Reading is ranked among the Best Online Master’s in Reading and Literacy
- The M.Ed. in Instructional Design and Technology—Technology Leadership specialization is ranked as one of the Best Online Master’s in Education Technology
- The Educational Leadership Master’s is ranked as one of the Best and Most Affordable Online Master’s in Educational Leadership
- The Master of Arts in Exceptional Student Education is ranked in both the Best and Most Affordable Online Master’s in Educational Leadership
Online Education Degrees
Curriculum & Instruction, Ed.D., Curriculum and Assessment Specialization
- Evaluate the applicability and utility of available assessment tools
- Create curriculum and instruction frameworks or protocols for real-world situations
Curriculum & Instruction, M.Ed.
- Choose from three specializations to align your studies with the skills you need most in the classroom
- Prepare for advanced careers in instruction and leadership in a program that combines the latest educational theories with practical application
Curriculum and Instruction, Ed.S.
- Learn to apply research to the real-world decision-making and problem-solving scenarios educators face right now.
- Choose from one of the three area of focus: Administration and Leadership; Vulnerable and Marginalized Groups; Curriculum and Instruction.
Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
- Earn the credentials to qualify for a leadership role in your school or district
- Prepare for the Florida Educational Leadership Exam
Exceptional Student Education, B.A.
- Earn Florida DOE certification in Exceptional Student Education and Elementary Education with Reading and ESOL endorsements
- Learn how to create and manage an inclusive learning environment
Exceptional Student Education, M.A.
- Analyze exceptional student education instructional programs based on approved standards
- Plan effective learning experiences employing critical thinking, problem-solving and high-order questioning techniques
Instructional Design and Technology, B.S.
- Enjoy expanding job opportunities in instructional design and technology-related jobs
- Design, develop and implement instructional and performance solutions
Instructional Design and Technology, Ed.D.
- Diagnose and conceptualize solutions for individual and organizational performance problems
- Critically evaluate inferences drawn from empirical research and practice in the field of instructional design and technology
Instructional Design and Technology, M.Ed.
- Communicate effectively with culturally diverse stakeholders using appropriate modalities
- Analyze individual and organizational performance problems comprehensively from education and training perspectives
Interdisciplinary Social Sciences Community Education Specialization, B.A.
- Focus on non-traditional education and prepare for educational roles outside traditional K–12 schools
- Plan developmentally appropriate interactions based on goals identified for all learners in community environments
- Understand and teach concepts in literature, reading and literacy
- Identify and prevent difficulties in reading
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Teach English as an additional language in a variety of settings in the United States and overseas.
- Add ESOL endorsement to your teaching certification in the state of Florida.
- Complete coursework based on the five domains of TESOL adopted by the Florida Department of Education and International TESOL Organization standards.
No programs were found matching the selected filters.
Through 2028, the number of jobs in education, educator training and libraries is expected to grow 5 percent as a whole. Educator training, content development and technology-related careers will grow significantly due to digital course delivery, multimodal teaching and increasing populations of students. Enrollment in all levels of education is anticipated to rise. Online education programs from UWF will ensure that you are prepared to meet the rising demand for talented educators at every level.
*Education career outlook information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics
A school superintendent is the top administrator of a school system and typically answers to a school board.Median annual salary: $115,357
Postsecondary Education Administrators
These professionals manage the various aspects of a college or university by working in student affairs, admissions, the registrar’s office or as an academic dean.Median annual salary: $92,360
Why You Should Pursue an Online Education Degree
UWF’s online education programs are accredited by NCATE.
Use your expertise to gain additional certification in specialty areas.
Apply empirical perspectives and active learning while guided by expert faculty.
Accreditation & Accolades
The University of West Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctoral degrees. Questions about the accreditation of The University of West Florida may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling 404.679.4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
UWF Online is approved by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. The voluntary agreement among member states and U.S. territories establishes comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance-education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in other states.
Frequently Asked Questions
To begin a certificate program, interested students need to fill out either a graduate or undergraduate non-degree seeking application. Once accepted as a non-degree seeking student, students should speak to an advisor about course availability and scheduling. Then, complete the online Graduate or Undergraduate Certificate Declaration Form on MyUWF. Current UWF students who would like to pursue a certificate should speak to their advisor.
To begin a degree program, you first need to submit an application for undergraduate or graduate admission (plus a $30 application fee) and be accepted for admission to the University of West Florida. Some programs require a minimum GPA in all previous coursework. Depending on the program, you might also:
- Submit official transcripts from all regionally accredited institutions previously attended
- Submit GRE, GMAT or MAT scores
- Submit a letter of intent describing your work experience and reasons for pursuing the degree, including how the degree relates to your career goals
- Submit a sample research paper
- Submit a resume
- Submit letter(s) of recommendation
- Complete the residency application form for tuition purposes
- Complete a departmental application form
Time to completion varies by student, depending on individual progress and credits transferred, if applicable. Most certificate programs can be completed in two semesters depending on requirements. Undergraduate degree programs typically take 4 years, although transfer credits can reduce the time to completion. The length of graduate degree programs is anywhere from 12–24 months depending on program requirements and transfer credits.
Yes. Faculty at the University of West Florida are experienced professionals who deliver an online education with the same rigor and benefits of an on-campus program. You will work with course management systems that enhance learning material with multimedia. You will also have the chance to interact one-on-one with classmates and instructors. Depending on the program and course, you will learn in real-time through live lectures and class sessions. Other requirements can be completed on your schedule.
The University of West Florida offers many ways to reduce the cost of your online education. In addition to affordable tuition rates, UWF offers various financial aid options for our online students, including loans, scholarships and grants. Members of the U.S. military, plus their families, are eligible for many military discounts, including free tuition through the Yellow Ribbon Program and tuition waivers. Active-duty military members receive an out-of-state tuition waiver. Residents of Alabama are eligible for Alabama Differential Tuition, a reduced out-of-state tuition rate. You could also enroll in a payment plan or secure a short-term loan.
You can expect a rigorous, quality online education in any UWF programs. If you are struggling in an online class, please reach out to your instructor to receive advice and guidance. You will find that our faculty are earnestly invested in your success.