Medical and Health Sciences Overview
Pursue a gratifying career in healthcare or medicine.
An online medical program or health sciences degree from the University of West Florida is a great choice for those who want to make a positive impact on the population and its health. With a variety of options including clinical lab sciences, healthcare administration and public health, you can tailor your degree to fit the needs of communities you would like to serve.
UWF’s online health degrees and certificates are designed for working professionals who wish to advance their careers and gain hands-on experience. Customize your online medical program with certificate options in environmental and occupational health or emergency management and infection control.
You could assume responsibility in areas such as quality control, clinical decision making, supervision, analysis and education. You might also seek a career in management at a hospital, nursing home, clinic or other healthcare facilities. UWF’s medical and health sciences programs could lead to health-related careers in community engagement, consulting, governmental agencies and more.
Both the bachelor’s in healthcare administration and the bachelor’s in public health are ranked No. 2 on the list of Best Online Bachelor’s in Health Science Programs by BestColleges.com.
Online Medical and Health Sciences Degrees
Clinical Lab Sciences, B.S. – MLT to MLS
- Prepare for the ASCP national exam for MLS qualification
- Get hands-on training to prepare for an advanced career as an MLS
Health Informatics Graduate Certificate
- Transform data into accurate and timely information
- Balance the strategic vision of the company with day-to-day operations
- Create reportable metrics from clinician-patient bedside interaction
Health Sciences, B.S. – Healthcare Administration
- Develop the skills needed to succeed in a career at a hospital, insurance company and more
- Build a strong foundation in the fundamentals of the healthcare industry
Health Sciences, B.S. – Public Health
- Gain the credentials to excel in areas such as public health, consultation and consumer advocacy
- Explore how to address issues related to diseases, medical disasters and the legalities of public health and healthcare
Health Sciences, B.S. (General)
- Enhance foundational knowledge relating to specific areas of individual and public health
- Learn how to promote the well-being of a community
Health, Leisure & Exercise Science – Physical Education and Human Performance Specialization
- Focus on how strategies, decisions, judgments and actions can impact an individual’s performance so you learn how to lead and motivate them.
- Courses offer individualized assignments that are customized to your current role, so you can focus on how to immediately apply what you learn to your career.
Healthcare Administration, M.H.A.
- Apply healthcare administration concepts, principles and practices to the operation of healthcare organizations
- Evaluate challenges in healthcare administration and propose solutions to improve organizational performance
- Develop an understanding of the multiple influences created by the biological characteristics of the organism
- Prepare to pursue a wide range of careers at the bachelor’s level or advanced training in psychology
Public Health—Emergency Management and Infection Control Online Certificate
- Pursue career advancement in public health
- Educate others on how to prepare for emergencies and infectious diseases
Public Health—Environmental and Occupational Health Online Certificate
- Pursue career advancement in public health
- Educate others on how to keep the environment clean and their workplaces safe
Public Health, M.P.H.
- Understand and influence public health policy
- Identify issues and problems in the public health of various communities
No programs were found matching the selected filters.
Medical and Health Sciences Careers
More than any other industry, the medical and health sciences field is expected to add 1.9 million jobs through 2028. This is due to the widespread desire to improve health outcomes and reduce healthcare costs to the population. Professional certifications, exams and training improve employment potential. An online medical program or health science online degree from UWF will ensure that you are ready to meet the demands of these rewarding professions.
*Medical and health sciences career outlook information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics
Medical Laboratory Scientists
A medical laboratory scientist conducts routine and complex laboratory practices, typically at a hospital or independent medical lab.Median annual salary: $84,810
Medical and Health Services Managers
Medical and health services managers plan, direct and coordinate the business activities of healthcare providers.Median annual salary: $99,730
Occupational therapists treat patients who have injuries, illnesses or disabilities through the therapeutic use of everyday activities.Median annual salary: $84,270
Health Educators and Community Health Workers
These professionals collect public health data and teach various populations about behaviors that promote wellness.Median annual salary: $46,080
Why You Should Pursue an Online Medical and Health Sciences Degree
Use your expertise to excel on certification exams and boost your career.
Make a difference at many levels of medicine and healthcare.
Keep working while completing your education.
Accreditation & Accolades
The University of West Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, specialist and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of West Florida.
UWF Online is approved by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. The voluntary agreement among member states and U.S. territories establishes comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance-education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in other states.
Frequently Asked Questions
To begin a certificate program, interested students need to fill out either a graduate or undergraduate non-degree seeking application. Once accepted as a non-degree seeking student, students should speak to an advisor about course availability and scheduling. Then, complete the online Graduate or Undergraduate Certificate Declaration Form on MyUWF. Current UWF students who would like to pursue a certificate should speak to their advisor.
To begin a degree program, you first need to submit an application for undergraduate or graduate admission (plus a $30 application fee) and be accepted for admission to the University of West Florida. Some programs require a minimum GPA in all previous coursework. Depending on the program, you might also:
- Submit official transcripts from all regionally accredited institutions previously attended
- Submit GRE, GMAT or MAT scores
- Submit a letter of intent describing your work experience and reasons for pursuing the degree, including how the degree relates to your career goals
- Submit a sample research paper
- Submit a resume
- Submit letter(s) of recommendation
- Complete the residency application form for tuition purposes
- Complete a departmental application form
Time to completion varies by student, depending on individual progress and credits transferred, if applicable. Most certificate programs can be completed in two semesters depending on requirements. Undergraduate degree programs typically take 4 years, although transfer credits can reduce the time to completion. The length of graduate degree programs is anywhere from 12–24 months depending on program requirements and transfer credits.
Yes. Faculty at the University of West Florida are experienced professionals who deliver an online education with the same rigor and benefits of an on-campus program. You will work with course management systems that enhance learning material with multimedia. You will also have the chance to interact one-on-one with classmates and instructors. Depending on the program and course, you will learn in real-time through live lectures and class sessions. Other requirements can be completed on your schedule.
The University of West Florida offers many ways to reduce the cost of your online education. In addition to affordable tuition rates, UWF offers various financial aid options for our online students, including loans, scholarships and grants. Members of the U.S. military, plus their families, are eligible for many military discounts, including free tuition through the Yellow Ribbon Program and tuition waivers. Active-duty military members receive an out-of-state tuition waiver. Residents of Alabama are eligible for Alabama Differential Tuition, a reduced out-of-state tuition rate. You could also enroll in a payment plan or secure a short-term loan.
You can expect a rigorous, quality online education in any UWF programs. If you are struggling in an online class, please reach out to your instructor to receive advice and guidance. You will find that our faculty are earnestly invested in your success.