Online Technology and Computer Science Degrees
Ready to Get Started?
Fill out the form below to get in touch with an enrollment counselor.
Technology and Computer Science Overview
Pursue lucrative and fast-growing careers.
An online degree or certificate in the technology field from the University of West Florida can equip you with skills for a variety of career paths in many industries. You will gain theoretical and practical knowledge in data management, data analysis, computer and network security, information security and more. Those fundamental skills will enable you to help businesses make better strategic choices and interpret complex data to varied audiences.
With an online geographic information science master’s degree, you can work toward a career as a GIS manager, geospatial specialist or environmental scientist. An online information technology master’s could lead to work as an information technology manager or database administrator. Choose the online computer science master’s degree to become a computer and information research scientist, computer systems analyst or software engineer. By completing an online master’s degree in cybersecurity, you can secure data, information and networks and serve as a layer of defense against cybercriminals.
Online Technology and Computer Science Degrees
Business Analytics Certificate
- Build strategic decision-making skills to apply in diverse business environments
- Develop expertise in data analysis and prepare for success in risk management positions
Computer Science, M.S.
- Explore modern topics in software engineering or data analytics
- Prepare for further studies or a career in computing, data analytics or cybersecurity
- Become a leader in the protection of data assets and analysis of potential threats
- Gain hands-on cybersecurity experience through real-world simulations
Data Science Certificate
- Excel in a rapidly growing and lucrative field
- Learn advanced statistics, modeling and in-depth computational techniques
Data Science, M.S.
- Leverage data and information to help businesses make better strategic choices
- Communicate and interpret complex data to varied audiences
Database Systems Certificate
- Get hands-on practice designing and optimizing databases
- Gain both theoretical and practical knowledge to jump-start your career
Geographic Information Science Administration, M.S.
- Learn the cutting-edge technology and latest approaches used in the field
- Gain a well-rounded foundation through both business and GIS courses
- Recognize and practice using GIS technologies
- Analyze and interpret large amounts of data collected by GIS technologies
GIS Online Graduate Certificate
- Advanced use of GIS technologies
- Relevant, up-to-date content uses ArcGIS Pro software
Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity
- Prepare to defend against cyberattacks, protect data assets and analyze potential cybersecurity threats
- The 2-semester certificate is designed to smoothly transfer to UWF’s M.S. in Cybersecurity program
Information Security Management Certificate
- Learn from expert educators who bring real-world information systems experience to each course
- Build expertise in business intelligence fundamentals and prepare for administrative positions within the field
Information Security Management Online Graduate Certificate
- Identify potential information security threats and design mitigation plans
- Learn to safely and efficiently protect an organization’s data
Information Technology, M.S.
- Specialize your degree and gain deeper knowledge through elective courses
- Develop the skills for a leadership role in IT
Intelligence Analysis Certificate
- Identify key concepts and issues in security-related intelligence
- Determine patterns and trends in large data sets
No programs were found matching the selected filters.
Technology and Computer Science Careers
Technology advancements such as cloud computing, big data collection and storage, mobile technology and information security demand a skilled and experienced workforce. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, computer and IT occupations are projected to grow 13% from 2020 to 2030, faster than average for all occupations. Those with technology and computer science expertise are likely to find employment in a range of industries, including business, marketing, finance, healthcare, education and government.
The technology and computer science career outlook information below is from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Statisticians collect, organize, summarize and report on data to provide useful information to employers and stakeholders.Median annual salary: $95,570
Software engineers design and develop programs for computers and other devices.Median annual salary: $110,140
Database administrators organize and secure large amounts of data while optimizing databases to function most efficiently.Median annual salary: $98,860
Why You Should Pursue an Online Technology and Computer Science Degree
Prepare for technology-related positions in virtually any industry.
Gain well-rounded technical, analytical and communication skills.
Keep working while completing your education.
Accreditation & Accolades
The University of West Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, educational specialist, and doctoral degrees. Degree-granting institutions also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of The University of West Florida may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling 404.679.4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org/).
UWF Online is approved by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. The voluntary agreement among member states and U.S. territories establishes comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance-education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in other states.
Frequently Asked Questions
To begin a certificate program, interested students need to fill out either a graduate or undergraduate non-degree seeking application. Once accepted as a non-degree seeking student, students should speak to an advisor about course availability and scheduling. Then, complete the online Graduate or Undergraduate Certificate Declaration Form on MyUWF. Current UWF students who would like to pursue a certificate should speak to their advisor.
To begin a degree program, you first need to submit an application for undergraduate or graduate admission (plus a $30 application fee) and be accepted for admission to the University of West Florida. Some programs require a minimum GPA in all previous coursework. Depending on the program, you might also:
- Submit official transcripts from all regionally accredited institutions previously attended
- Submit GRE, GMAT or MAT scores
- Submit a letter of intent describing your work experience and reasons for pursuing the degree, including how the degree relates to your career goals
- Submit a sample research paper
- Submit a resume
- Submit letter(s) of recommendation
- Complete the residency application form for tuition purposes
- Complete a departmental application form
Time to completion varies by student, depending on individual progress and credits transferred, if applicable. Most certificate programs can be completed in two semesters depending on requirements. Undergraduate degree programs typically take 4 years, although transfer credits can reduce the time to completion. The length of graduate degree programs is anywhere from 12–24 months depending on program requirements and transfer credits.
Yes. Faculty at the University of West Florida are experienced professionals who deliver an online education with the same rigor and benefits of an on-campus program. You will work with course management systems that enhance learning material with multimedia. You will also have the chance to interact one-on-one with classmates and instructors. Depending on the program and course, you will learn in real-time through live lectures and class sessions. Other requirements can be completed on your schedule.
The University of West Florida offers many ways to reduce the cost of your online education. In addition to affordable tuition rates, UWF offers various financial aid options for our online students, including loans, scholarships and grants. Members of the U.S. military, plus their families, are eligible for many military discounts, including free tuition through the Yellow Ribbon Program and tuition waivers. Active-duty military members receive an out-of-state tuition waiver. Residents of Alabama are eligible for Alabama Differential Tuition, a reduced out-of-state tuition rate. You could also enroll in a payment plan or secure a short-term loan.
You can expect a rigorous, quality online education in any UWF programs. If you are struggling in an online class, please reach out to your instructor to receive advice and guidance. You will find that our faculty are earnestly invested in your success.